You may have heard that the horrifying tax bill passed in the Senate. This is true. However, remember your lessons from Schoolhouse Rock and note that this bill is NOT YET A LAW. The version that the Senate passed is different from the version that the House passed, so now they have to meet in a special committee situation to hammer out the differences, and then RE-VOTE.
Now is the time to BLOW UP THE PHONES.
Script for democrats:
Hi! My name is _____, and I’m a constituent from [zip code]. I’m calling to ask [Senator/Representative] _______ to do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to block the modified tax bill from passing. I understand that might be impossible, so I’d like to encourage the [senator/representative] to especially concentrate on fighting against the amendment/portion(s) that:
- A) cause graduate students to have to pay tax on their tuition waivers. This will beggar graduate students currently in school, and cause higher education to be inaccessible to lower income learners.
- B) uses language that gives legal rights to fetuses, thus setting a terrifying legal precedent in anti-abortion cases.
- C) removes the ban on churches and non-profits from participating in political activism. This could set precedent for tax-deductible campaign contributions.
- D) allows drilling for oil in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, ruining one of the last areas of wild land in the United States.
- E) cuts huge amounts of money from health care and social insurance programs. This could leave millions of people uninsured, and is essentially the repeal of the ACA, just bundled into a different package.
- F) reduces the corporate tax rate from 35% to 20%. You and I both know that it won’t “restore American competitiveness” – it will just drive us further into debt, and reduce more spending on social programs.
- G) cuts down the estate tax from inheritances of $11 million to inheritances of $22 million, cutting even more money out of national spending, and leaving more money in the pockets of the rich.
(this is just what I’ve grabbed from a cursory scan of the internet – I’m SURE there’s a ton more bullshit stuffed into this thing)
Script for republicans:
Hi! My name is _____, and I’m a constituent from [zip code]. I’m calling to tell [Senator/Representative] _______ that I am FURIOUS at how [he/she] voted on the tax bill at ***1:30am*** on Friday. [His/her] loyalty to party lines over caring for constituents is frankly disgusting. Please note that I have an emphatic objection to the amendment/portion(s) of the bill that:
- A) B) C) D) E) F) G) (from the above).
I insist that the [senator/representative] thoroughly READ the tax bill, and defend the needs of actual human Americans, and not the financial demands of lobbyists. (if you know the kind of money being used to buy out your senator, feel free to mention it here, in an ominous and threatening tone of voice.)
If your representatives are Costello (district PA 06), Fitzpatrick (PA 08), or Dent (PA 15), your reps may be especially susceptible to calls and pressure, as they are a) in lefter-leaning districts, and b) up for re-election next year. Ring their phones off the hook with the above scripts, visit their offices, send letters, and make CLEAR that your vote and the vote of everyone you know is entirely contingent on their actions in the coming months. Again, go for the ominous and threatening tone of voice.
(btw, I’ve discovered that it’s EXTREMELY EASY to schedule an ACTUAL APPOINTMENT with your representatives. If your rep is Costello, Fitzpatrick, or Dent, and you’re feeling brave, hit me up and let’s talk strategy.)
BLOW UP THE PHONES.